Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Satellite Internet working

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITESH KAKKAR

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello gentleman,
I have never seen satellite internet how does it look i have seen satellite TV many place i also have and install it.
where we use satellite internet

Look at the providers of satellite internet services for an idea why they are used.

http://www.wafa.ae/en/vsat/Home.aspx

One of the pictures that gets shown is a deep sea drilling platform, that's one place where they don't have phone lines, cable TV, or fiber lines running out to the platform.

Or how about sending email or updating your FB from out here ;-)

I'm using a satellite connection right now. Landline internet is very slow (<0.1Mb/s) and very intermittent here. Line attenuation is more than 63dB!

Brian.

< 100Kb, that like the old 56K modem days of dialup!

Except in the old days it was a reliable connection. Typically the landline will lose sync and disconnect five or six times a day here. Satellite is faster and works except for during severe rainfall but the round-trip delay causes all kinds of time out problems. Like landline systems it also has contention problems, one satellite feeding a whole continent means I get 20Mb/s in the early morning but only around 2Mb/s in the evenings. I'm on "Ka Sat" at 28.2E with a downlink at 30GHz and uplink at (I think) 27GHz.

Brian.

I'm using a satellite connection right now. Landline internet is very slow (<0.1Mb/s) and very intermittent here. Line attenuation is more than 63dB!

Brian.

That for sharing information.
what is your job sir?

please explain this Line attenuation is more than 63dB! in simple word i was not in class lecture when teacher was explaining this.

what is your job sir?
I'm retired now but I was senior engineer with a test equipment manufacturer. Before that I worked on development of the base station network for a major mobile phone manufacturer.

please explain this Line attenuation is more than 63dB! in simple word i was not in class lecture when teacher was explaining this.
It refers to how much signal is lost along the wires between the ADSL interface at the telco and the modem at the users premises. The ADSL (broadband) signal is transmitted and received at the telco along the same wires that carry voice but using frequencies above hearing range. As it travels along the wires, some of the signal level is lost and it happens most at the higher frequencies. The data speed depends on the bandwidth available on the line so the modem and telco equipment 'negotiate' the best possible speed for reliable communication based on how well the high frequencies travel between them. A line with poor frequency response will work but at lower speeds. Unfortunately, I am about 4.5Km from the telco so the line is very long here and can not carry the high frequencies needed for a fast connection.

The line attenuation is a number representing how much loss there is in the line. The scale goes from 0dB to 63dB. To get 0dB you would have to connect directly to the telco equipment using very short wires, as you move further away, the attenuation value increases. 63dB (1/(10^6.3) of the original signal) is the maximum loss before it is deemed impossible to establish a reliable connection.

Brian.

the base station network for a major mobile phone manufacturer.

ok, thanks
what is the role of it and how engineer design?

- - - Updated - - -

I dont understand a single line i.e. cable can take so many frequency ?
like in cable tv there are lot of tv channel or in digital satellite receiver from dish antenna
one single wire carries lot of information and electrons move in it??

- - - Updated - - -

like in cable tv there are lot of tv channel or in digital satellite receiver from dish antenna
one single wire carries lot of information and electrons move in it??

I was responsible for designing testability into the base station electronics, from incoming trunk lines right through to RF at the antenna. They are very complex machines so each individual part has to be tested and verified before the final assembly. My job was to design the testing features so either manual or automatic testing could take place on each section of the station as it was manufactured.

It is just as tuning your radio can make it pick up different stations, all the signals are there all the time, you just have to select one out of the crowd.
In a cable there is a complex waveform which is made up of the addition of lots of smaller waveforms with different amplitude, frequency and phase. Just like the radio, you use filters to separate the individual parts of the waveform. For example, very low frequencies (below about 40Hz) are sent to the phone ringer circuit, audio frequencies are sent to the earpiece and higher frequencies are sent to the data circuits.

Brian.

I was responsible for designing testability into the base station electronics, from incoming trunk lines right through to RF at the antenna. They are very complex machines so each individual part has to be tested and verified before the final assembly. My job was to design the testing features so either manual or automatic testing could take place on each section of the station as it was manufactured.

Please tell me more technical so that i can learn from you sir.
It is just as tuning your radio can make it pick up different stations, all the signals are there all the time, you just have to select one out of the crowd.
In a cable there is a complex waveform which is made up of the addition of lots of smaller waveforms with different amplitude, frequency and phase. Just like the radio, you use filters to separate the individual parts of the waveform. For example, very low frequencies (below about 40Hz) are sent to the phone ringer circuit, audio frequencies are sent to the earpiece and higher frequencies are sent to the data circuits.

In ac single phase the electron oscillate left and right at 50hz what happen in cables at different frequency so many?

Manual and ATE testing is a far bigger subject than can be explained in messages on here! I worked on component level product design to facilitate testing on HP3070 (now Keysight/Agilent), Rhode & Schwartz, Teradyne and Genrad test systems as well as many custom made test rigs.
In ac single phase the electron oscillate left and right at 50hz what happen in cables at different frequency so many?
That isn't correct, the electrons oscillate at much higher frequencies and at atomic level, it's the current flow that reverses at 50HZ. Left and right mean nothing to electrons!
I suspect you are trying to grasp too much at once. First learn about current flow and then learn about transmission lines and how cables react at different frequencies.

Brian.

That isn't correct, the electrons oscillate at much higher frequencies and at atomic level

Why and how electron oscillate at higher frequency?

- - - Updated - - -

The line attenuation is a number representing how much loss there is in the line. The scale goes from 0dB to 63dB. To get 0dB you would have to connect directly to the telco equipment using very short wires, as you move further away, the attenuation value increases.

what does -dB mean?

Hello,
The Bank ATM machine also work with satellite does it only receive or transmit signal back to satellite is it two full duplex communication?

Most satellite links are full or half duplex but using the satellite in both directions. There are some systems that use landline for outgoing data and satellite for incoming data, based on the relative speed requirements. In most applications a lot more data is received than transmitted so the equipment may be cheaper if no microwave transmitter is needed.

Brian.

Hello,
Then what sort of data does ATM machine recive more than sending?

Most satellite links are full or half duplex but using the satellite in both directions. There are some systems that use landline for outgoing data and satellite for incoming data, based on the relative speed requirements. In most applications a lot more data is received than transmitted so the equipment may be cheaper if no microwave transmitter is needed.

Brian

Hello,
As you have satellite internet can can down link the data how you send data to internet?
Is google and yahoo are browser then what is the main name of internet server?

- - - Updated - - -

what type of communication is this in internet??

http://pimg.tradeindia.com/02454975/b/1/Internet-Tower.jpg

Then what sort of data does ATM machine recive more than sending?
I have no idea of the data formats and I doubt very much whether the banks would tell me! The data in both directions is encrypted and might be sent by satellite or landline or both depending on where the machine is located.

As you have satellite internet can can down link the data how you send data to internet?
Is google and yahoo are browser then what is the main name of internet server
?
It works exactly the same as conventional land based internet except a satellite modem connects to my router instead of an ADSL one. I have an SES satellite modem with an ethernet socket that connects directly to a Draytek load balancing modem where a fall-back ADSL connection takes over if the satellite signal is lost.

The picture looks like a microwave point-to-point link which may have nothing at all to do with the internet. I see similar dishes around my area which are part of the railway signalling network.

Brian.

Hello,
I have noticed that above ATM there is dish with two co-axial wire that may of of one receiving and sending.
In news channel broadcaster they use van to transmit the signal which we say LIVE telecast how the small size dish on road can transmit to 22,000km above satellite?

In co-axial wire what is the maximum freq that data can be send?
and what is the resistance calculation trick that the data will be lost as called attenuation.

I have noticed that above ATM there is dish with two co-axial wire that may of of one receiving and sending.
Possible but the second co-ax cable may be carrying power to the dish or may be a second download link. Many dishes have two outputs so that two channels or even two satellites can be picked up at once, either to split the data into different paths for security reasons or so one can be a 'fallback' if the other fails. Whether the ATM uses satellite at all or uses it in one direction only is a decision made by the installer and depends on location and if other types of communication are more economical to use.

My satellite internet dish is about 0.5m across so small dishes are quite feasible to use. OB vans typically use fairly high power so the dish itself plays a smaller part in the link, bear in mind they have to work in all weather conditions and there is rarely time for someone to very accurately align their position. The van may also be subject to movement in strong winds for example. I also have a steerable 1m dish for receiving video links from satellite and the signals I receive are generally very strong, even from older 'inclined orbit' satellites nearing the end of their life.

The highest frequency co-ax can carry depends on it's construction, diameter and whether it has bends in it. Typical good quality RF co-ax can work up to around 8 - 10 GHz and after that it is more usual to use waveguides. RG58 type of co-ax is OK up to a few hundred MHZ before the losses in it become too great. It's best to refer to the cable manufacturer for performance data on their own cable as it varies from one brand to another. Look for dB/100m (decibels per 100 metres) figures at the frequencies you are interested in.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back