Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless mouse internal antenna length - crucial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee321987

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I accidentally broke the antenna inside my wireless mouse -- at least I'm pretty sure it's an antenna. It's about 0.5mm diameter and runs ~115mm around the perimeter of the top of the PCB, then is soldered through on both ends.

About 1-2mm broke off, and I thought I'd fix it by soldering what was left of the antenna through the original hole, but now after doing that I need to have my mouse really close to the USB key that it talks to, or it will communication, so my question is... does anyone know if taking 2mm off the internal antenna of a wireless mouse could greatly effect it's frequency, and maybe cause it to lose connection?

It doesn't seem possible that such a tiny loss would make such a big difference.

Did you check your batteries? (I find that my wireless mouse needs about 2.4 V minimum to function.)

Did you press the 'connect' button?

soldered through on both ends

Did you check continuity from the pcb to the antenna? When soldering it is easy to break the copper trace away from the board. Or, to make a hairline fracture in the trace.

Make sure you havent soldered/shorted it to ground accidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back