Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Injected current in current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhnha

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I asked the question in the forum. However, I haven't received a satisfactory answer yet.
Could anyone help me explain it in more detail?

Current.PNG

Re: Injected current in current mirror

What do You want to know?

If Iinjected is a constant DC current source, sinking 1µA of current it will result with sinking ≈3µA of current from VDD source and VD2 potential goes down to set OP point of M4 to provide ≈2µA (one for Iinjected current source and second for drain of M2 current source). Due to classic cascode biasing, VD2 with absence of Iinjected is large enough to preserve M2 in saturation after adding Iinjected (in most cases).

Well, sorry I forgot to add the question.

For the circuit above as the injected current equal to -1uA the current through M4 is 1uA and there is no current through M2.
What I am confused is why there is not a case that M4 current is 2uA and M2 current is 1uA and it still satisfies KCL law.

For the circuit above as the injected current equal to -1uA the current through M4 is 1uA and there is no current through M2.
Is it a conclusion from simulation or something?

Reactions: anhnha

anhnha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

What I am confused is why there is not a case that M4 current is 2uA and M2 current is 1uA and it still satisfies KCL law.
I can't confirm your results. Id(M4) = 1.999 µA.

anhnha

Thank you for these replies.
Is it a conclusion from simulation or something?
The conclusion is from Jacob Baker's lecture here at 30:44.

I can't confirm your results. Id(M4) = 1.999 µA.

So, could you explain why there are different results?

The verbose presentation shows also Id(M4) = 1.999 µA for -1µA injected current, as expectable when using same model and transistor parameters.

Seems like you are discussing erroneous believes only.

anhnha

Yeah, you are right. His initial prediction is wrong and that is confirmed by simulation result.
Another question is why the case i(M4) = 1uA and i(M2) = 0 doesn't happen?

Id(M2) would be zero if you manage to pull node VD2 to ground. This probably happens at a much higher injected current than 1 µA and respectively higher Id(M4).

As a side remark. It's somehow alarming to see people jumping in conclusions about the erroneous observation claimed in your original "All about circuits" thread.

anhnha

Thanks. Is there a logic that higher injected current will pull node VD2 closer to ground?

As a side remark. It's somehow alarming to see people jumping in conclusions about the erroneous observation claimed in your original "All about circuits" thread.
Yes, people ansewered there are experts and this make me supprised.

Presume the M2 and M4 gate levels are fixed according to the current mirror input current. Pulling VD2 to ground is about doubling Vgs(M4). For the given model parameters, you need >400 µA injected current to achieve that.

One problem with the expert statements is that you have "perfectly" misguided by creating the impression that the reported results are validated simulation results. Dominik was the first one asking how they have been actually achieved.

anhnha

Status
Not open for further replies.