Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] Current Mirror design

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneMonkey

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Attached is a current mirror design I am a little bit confused about. I do not know what this kind of topology is called and thus cannot find any external information.

I do understand that this is a cascade current mirror, but I don't know what are the two external transistors doing and what is the benefit of having them in design.

CM.jpg

It's a standard cascode current mirror as described in any analog design text book. Plus two apparently useless transistor sourcing additional current to ground. You would want to review the place where you quoted the image for an explanation.

It's a standard cascode current mirror as described in any analog design text book. Plus two apparently useless transistor sourcing additional current to ground. You would want to review the place where you quoted the image for an explanation.

Hi FvM,

Thanks for the answer. I do not have a source for the image, because I made it myself. However, I am analyzing an existing ramp generator design, where I found this topology.

If the source circuit design was an IC then maybe the
"do-nothing" leg is contingency spares or an option for
a doubling of ramp slew rate (in metal, later). Or the
dummies for matching. Although in either case I would
have left the dummy leg open, not shorted to ground
to waste current.

Status
Not open for further replies.