Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to identify part

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtronix

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hii,

Please see image ..

this look like black rubber which was mounted on mental body downside it was placed on smps output capacitor pin (solder side).
black part was placed between smps output capacitor and metal body and metal body was finally connect with chassis ground.

can anyone identify which material is this and why this is placed like this??

image.jpg

Just a guess, either a rubber block for stability (anti vibration) or a heat conductive silicone block but why that would be on a capacitor is a mystery.

Brian.

I'm having trouble visualizing how this was mounted, but considering you keep mentioning metal and metal and solder side and pins...maybe it was added to avoid an ugly short when something gets flexed.

see below image placement shown without casing
2016-05-19 08-19-44.jpg

see red marked space, this is the area where this parts is get placed
2016-05-19 08-19-46.jpg

2016-05-19 08-19-41.jpg

after seeing this images i don't think so rubber part could be used to protect capacitor pin with mental case.

it may be used for vibration protection or emi noise suppression.

Looking at the third picture I can see two arrays of plated through holes, these are usually to improve heat conduction through the PCB and probably have a surface mounted power device under them. The block would be to conduct heat from the copper area on the board to the thicker metal surface and at the same time provide electrical insulation and a degree of mechanical stability. The blocks are commonly used in equipment as a heat conductive 'filler' because their elasticity lets them flex to fit the contour of the surfaces well.

I'm not sure about the first and second pictures, it is probably the same stuff but I can't see a source of heat so maybe they are just using it for it's mechanical properties.

In that kind of equipment it certainly isn't RF absorbing foam so I doubt it is there for EMC purposes.

Brian.

thanx betwixt for your valuable information..

how much heat it can observe??
i'm little bit worry about this because i have one board in that this part is missing.
does this affect performance of the circuit?

where would i get this one??
pcb shown in image are of smps whose input is 24VDC and output is 90 VDC / 5A.

I'm not sure where to buy an exact replacement but if you search for "thermal transfer silicone" it should find some suppliers for you.
You can stack several thinner layers to make up the thickness you need if you can't find one thick enough but make sure you don't trap air between the layers as it will reduce it's efficiency.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back