Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Level Shifter working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag289

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to understand the working of a latch based level shifter as seen in the attached image.
LS.PNG

Input Signal (In) ranges from VL to 0 & the output signal (Out) ranges from Vi to VH, where Vi is an intermediate voltage level between VH & VL.

I am unable to understand the exact working of this circuit.
Say, when the In= High, N1 drain is pulled to 0, turning on N3 thus pulling N3 drain to 0 as well. During the previous cycle if my output was Low, then in that situation OutBr1 (P1 source) will be High. Which means P1 is On and that the Inv I3's Pmos is sourcing the current in this branch. What i notice in the simulation results is that when In=high, OutBr1 also starts getting pulled towards Vi in turn turning off P1.
This would pull the OutBr2 to VH thereby turning on P2, but since N2 is off there is no current path. So where does the current go? How is the N2 & N4 drain voltage decided ? (>0 from simulations)
In which region are the devices working?

Would be of great help if somebody could explain what i am missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.