Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor speed and torque calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdx_cool

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The bipolar geared stepper motor I am planning to use has a resistance/ phase of 8.5 ohms per phase, inductance of 2.14mH per phase , normal current per phase is 2 amps, holding torque of motor is 0.8Nm, gearbox ratio is 1:8, holding torque of gearbox is 6.4Nm. The maximum permissible RPM of gearbox shaft is 200 rpm. The input voltage rating of the stepper motor is 24-48 volts. I am planning to use a 24 volts power supply and DRV8825 driver to drive this motor. Can anyone help me on how to calculate the maximum RPM of the stepper motor ? And also usually how long can the motor run at this maximum speed ?

Also, I intend to use this motor for a motorized cord reel application, where I would retract a cable using this motor and a chain mechanism. The total weight of the cable is around 12 kg. Would this torque of 64kgcm (6.4Nm) be sufficient for this application?

Attached datasheet of motor here: stepper1.pngstepper2.png

for a gear ratio of 1:8 , with o/p speed limited to 200rpm , the input speed will be 25 rpm.

also , if the motor torque is 0.8Nm(holding) , will it not reduce the torque in the o/p for 1:8 ratio gearbox?

Using the specs in your pics in round numbers you are 15x under power, assuming a 50mm pulley.

Trying to factor in your cheap-oh stepper drive you would be so far under powered i can only take a wild guess of 30 to 50 times to low.

Steppers are used for positional accuracy. This is a bad application to use them in. Look how the torque drops off with speed i used the 200mNm output spec. A DC motor would be a much better choice, it will keep a fairly constant torque over the speed range. But you can probably just use a relay to turn the motor on and off and not use any motor controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.