Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scope of Discussions Here .vs. on StackExchange - an example?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaaappp

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been enjoying reading edaboard for many reasons, but the one that really stands out for me:

edaboard seems more open and broad-minded than, say, Electronics.StackExchange.

Sure, the S.E. sites are frequently most helpful, and I personally go there almost daily - especially when I get stuck on a stubborn problem. But even with higher-than-average user points, if I were to post something like "When would you really want to use the venerable LM741?" I'd be blasted for being an SE idiot :shock: ... the thread would get tagged as "too broad," and be closed in seconds by four or five people.

To me, this seems very unfortunate. Generally and obviously, many technical concepts cannot be addressed simply, like taking specs., then looking up the matching component. A more open-ended discussion, I think, is of great value, precisely because a broad-ranging topic necessarily touches on supporting concepts, e.g., single .vs. dual supply, slew rates, etc.,.

Of course, edaboard must have some policy, some sense of when things go too far. For instance, I had a thread closed recently because my question was too confusing. When I stepped back and looked at what I'd posted, the moderator was absolutely correct in closing it. However, s/he did take the time and effort to explain why the question was unclear. Unlike S.E. sites, where there wouldn't likely be any explanation, here I was able to reply, clarifying my question - the thread was open again - and my question not only got an answer, but several, including a schematic. :clap: On S.E., the deal would have just died, or I would have had to jump through too many hoops to get the thread reopened.

OK … this is getting a bit verbose … but I wanted to give this opinion by way of thanks.

And the above question about the LM741 (and 1458 :) is a real one. Can I post it, in say, the basic electronics forum? (hmmm, a search on 'LM741' yields a mere 304 results …)

thanks for taking the time to read this.
- Howard in Florida

It is evident that Edaboard is a well-run forum. At all times of day the home page often lists hundreds of visitors reading. Edaboard attracts sponsors who are big names in the electronics industry.

The guidelines are an important factor. It's taken me a few years to realize that Edaboard's guidelines are geared to make the board attractive to our daily regulars, so they'll stick around longterm. I say this because I have visited more than one electronics board where an excellent question is posed, yet there are no replies. No experts were around to answer.

This forum, on the other hand, contains a large percentage of helpful informative posts, which form a valuable archive of data. Several members here have had professional engineering careers in electronics. They bring a wide range of nuts-and-bolts expertise to the table.

Adding to what BradtheRad has already stated.

This forum unlike many others, primarily due to the guidelines, has some very experienced working engineers in both hardware and software along with dedicated knowledgeable hobbyists. Because threads are closed or deleted and infractions warnings are given the amount of "noise" in this forum is significantly less than any comparable forum, which helps retaining experienced (i.e. helpful) people.

I for one have visited other forums, and joined some of them, but given the noise level in those forums they are basically worthless. Only vendor sites like Xilinx, Altera, etc forums come close to edaboard, but they suffer from far less activity and sometimes very good questions remain unanswered or are initially answered by a Xilinx employee only to die half way through the discussion. Interestingly enough a number of edaboard members can be seen posting on both of those FPGA vendor forums.

Encouraging, BradtheRad and ads-ee, thanks. Your replies confirm my sense that edaboard is going to be a good place to hang out.

From the gist of your replies, I'm reading between the lines that it will be OK to post my question mentioned (in o.p.) about the LM741, et. al.

(If that's not the case, please advise.)

- H

You can post such a question, but being somewhat open-ended might result in no answers, I recall similar questions about which device/board should I use/buy between Altera and Xilinx that pretty much boiled down to answers that ranged from "what stuff do you need to do", "what ever part meets your needs for an application", all the way to "if you don't know then buy the one with the most features you can afford".

Certainly not what the poster may have wanted to hear.

So really think about what you want to get out of the question, and ask accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back