Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

buying 2nd hand scope without probes, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For buying a 2nd hand old tektronix scope without probes, I have the following questions:
(1) Can any probes be used with the scope or specifically tektronix probes?
(2) Can any model of passive probes be used with a scope? If so, I shall get the cheapest passive probes with 100MHz band width. Possibly 2nd hand probes.
(3) Are there specific points that one be cautious about when buying a 2nd hand scope?

This is related to a Tektronix 2245A 100MHz 4 channel analogue oscilloscope.

Some scopes (if memory serves) would use special probes that had a little pin on the BNC end that would automatically set the scope for a 10X input. It doesn't look like the 2245A does that so I would think you can even use a piece of wire as a probe along with a ground lead back to the scope input. Just take care when reading the voltage as a wire is 1X and most probes are 10X.

There may also be an impedance switch (50ohms/1M) to consider when using a wire vs. probe.

Last edited:

I presume you'll prefer a 10:1 passive probe, e.g. 150 MHz bandwidth. The only essential requirement is that the compensation range fits the oscilloscope's input capacitance. Most industry standard probes will do for the 2245.

A new 150 MHz probe from an accessory manufacturer is quite cheap (e.g. 25-30$) and widely available from catalog distributors.

As you have a four channel oscilloscope, you may need up to five probes simultaneously connected up....

The most practical solution would be a selection of different probes to cover different requirements.
Probes also have a finite life, especially if they are used every day.

So you might need a couple of really good quality x10 passive high frequency probes you keep aside for special occasions.

Then a couple of really low cost switched x1 x10 probes you use all the time, and expect to either damage or wear out during normal heavy usage.

A really high voltage x100 probe can sometimes be useful, something you can poke at 1Kv+ and know its not going do some expensive damage.

Then maybe just a couple of lengths of coax with a BNC one end, and some alligator clips on the other end.

How about a home made Hall effect current probe, and perhaps an odd current transformer or two ?

Its always nice to be able to have enough probes and bits and pieces, and not all need to be super high performance brand name mega expensive types to be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back