Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How the Body Pulse Wave terminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The Pulse Wave Velocety is a very important indication for human health.
That can directly reflect blood tube stiffness of a human being, which is about 8m/s for a 40 years old.
Here comes the questions:
How the pulse wave terminate at the wrist or the ankle?
I guess if is a wave, then it should be terminated as a type of standing wave at the ankle or the wrist, whatever the end is open, short, or mixed.
Many thanks.

You can find on the web several examples of the typical aspect of the measured pressure curve of the human blood vessel. As far as I know, there isn't any researches regarded to the use of that waveform to quantitatively diagnose some indication the health of someone. In addition, it is not too usual to monitor the ankel.

When measuring PWV, ankle or wrist is always being used.
I am just curious about the termination status of PWV.

- - - Updated - - -

And Andre,
I still hope you should move my post back to RF/Mcrowave forum, there are a lot of experts on standing wave.
Here I think no one can help me.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the size of the arteries from the heart through to about the wrist or ankle would taper only slightly, but from there on the arteries sub-divide through to the capillaries quite quickly. (I'm ignoring all of the branches off to other parts of the body along the way here.)
Therefore the pulse wave will be feeling an increasing impedance as the vessels get narrower. While this must give rise to some form of reflection, it would be very small compared to the incident wave. Also because of the gradual nature of the increasing impedance, I don't think it would form a coherent wave front that would impact much on the measured pulse.
I note that the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_wave_velocity) does make mention of the reflected waves (under the 'Measuring pulse wave velocity' section heading) but goes on to say that is why the measurements are taken at two locations a known distance apart to overcome this.
Susan

Hi, Susan,
I really want to express my great thanks to you.
Many thanks.
Best,
Tony Liu

Also because of the gradual nature of the increasing impedance, I don't think it would form a coherent wave front that would impact much on the measured pulse
I believe that given the fact that as the aging our arteries harden a bit, pehaps this, and only this could be object of a research based on the comparison of waveforms obtained at different points of the human body, but still sounds like something a bit inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.