Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: 4-Layer PCB Laboratory Prototyping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Politecnico

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys

I have the laboratory experience of prototyping single 2-layer PCBs. Regarding the complexity of my new design and board size limitation, I am going to consider a 4-layer PCB.

Vias.jpg

Here is my question: since Through Hole and Blind and Buried vias are parts of multi-layer PCBs, is it possible to implement them manually -by hand- without any specific malfunctioning?
Any practical advice is highly appreciated, in advance.

Re: 4-Layer PCB Laboratory Prototyping

Hi,

By hand???

I can´t imagine how you want to connect two inner layer by hand.. for aburied via. Usually - and that´s the benefit - there is no hole in the outer layers.

My answer is NO. Not by hand.

Klaus

Hi,

By hand???

I can´t imagine how you want to connect two inner layer by hand.. for aburied via. Usually - and that´s the benefit - there is no hole in the outer layers.

My answer is NO. Not by hand.

Klaus

Thank you Klaus.

Therefore, the only problem is with Buried Via? Assuming that the layers (from top to bottom) are:
1- Signal
2- Ground
3- Power
4- Signal
the Buried Via may not be necessary. So, in case of Through and Blind Vias, they are manually feasible?

Blind and buried via are no usual technique in standard 4-layer PCB. They involve additional process steps and increase the PCB costs. You'll use it only in special cases.

I also presume that your 2-layer prototype process doesn't provide through-plated vias and component pads. Through plated boards can be made "manually" (in contrast to series production) but requires special equipment in any case. Multilayer requires more special equipment.

If "manually" can be translated as home-brewed, give it up.

Hi,

If, ... if you are able to drill only through the first 2 copper layers and not through the prepreg.... then how do you connect those two layers?

I don´t think it is possible by hand. You need at least good drilling equippment.
And you need those chemicals and the glavanic that are necessary to fill the hole with copper to connect the layers.

Klaus

By Hand only through via is possible:smile:. But for that too component soldering will be difficult.

Buried via will not be required in your case as it is 4 layer PCB. Mostly it will be required when the internal layers contains some signals. Maximum in your case you will be need in of blind vias but doing it just by hand will not be proper solution.

Don't use blind or buried vias, it only makes designs more complex and expensive. Use through vias instead: make your layer stackup, then fill the vias with activator. The connections to the inner layers will be very poor, however. With so many low cost Chinese manufacturers on the market it's really not worth the effort: spend $50 and you'll get a reliable, professional 4 layer board.

Status
Not open for further replies.