Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] What is Robotics Engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehdi12

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am interested in robotics. So I want to have a strong background in the field. I know that it's not just the fictional idea of "robots". I also know that it's strongly linked with automation, which is about assembly lines or belts, which are used in factories to create many products from electronic devices to toys to mechanism and cars. But, back to my question" What is robotics", is it simply the study of electrical devices or is there something else deeper within. So I want to know what I will be studying in the near future. I want to know what electrical devices I will be learning about TV, mobile phones, computers, or something else. What about them will I be working on how to create it or will I be learning the composition of the machine and how to fix its malfunctions. So please can you give me an intricate terminology of the Robotics Engineering field.

Robotics is a wide field. To do robotics you need knowledge from lots of fields and apply them together.
So first, as basics, you need to know electronics (circuit theory, power electronics etc) ,mechanics and maths of course (algebra).
You are right regarding that is related with automation meaning you also need to know control theory and programming.

So as said above, lots of disciplines are prerequisites to join this field. I believe (for sure) that in some countries there is a degree called "Robotics Engineering", in mine not, meaning that first you chose a degree and if it is related with that, then you can do a Master in Robotics. What I wanted to say is that Robotics is lots of fields working together.
Degrees like, Mechanics, Computer Science, Electronics, Electrical fit well with Robotics.

Of course there are subjects called Robotics in probably every degree listed above, and what you learn is something like this:

• Spatial localization (involves algebra)
  • Kinematics
  • Dynamics
  • Actuators and Sensors
  • Motion control
  • Force control
  • Robots programming
  • Artificial vision

Hope this helps a bit.

Mobile robots are becoming prominent in the market, and getting attention for being 'almost-human', such that I think of mobility as a distinguishing feature. It has become a technology with its own engineering hurdles, including batteries, motive systems, guidance, sensors, etc. And a brain, if we can use that term.

Although there are stationary robots, the term 'automata' seems to fit those, as the terminology has been evolving in today's world. Not quite robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back