Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Moved]: 8 bit computer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurst

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help, so my question is computers use motherboards yes?, do you guys know where i can get schematics for an 8 bit one that I can use for my 8 bit CPU? I could really use help as I'm banging my head against the wall. :bang:
Thanks, Hurst.

Yes, I am building an 8 bit computer and I have the schematics for a CPU but I also need the schematics for a mother board, but the motherboard must be 8 but... Thanks for all help, Hurst

Hi

Should it be compatible to any available hardware or software?

What do you expect from the mother board?
What interfaces?

Klaus

Reactions: Hurst

Hurst

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Are you saying you want a motherboard for an 8-bit CPU or you want to build an 8-bit CPU yourself from other parts?

The schematic is just a block diagram of something that might work as a simple CPU.

Even basic math would be difficult because the schematic design has no instruction set, all it has is a data bus with no way of sequencing instructions. If you want to learn how computers work and build a functioning 8-bit board, you would do better to start with a commercial CPU and add memory and peripherals around it.

Brian.

No, I mean 8 bit mother board, but I want to build one, thanks for asking sorry if it was confusing, I have already planned and made the 8 bit CPU, I just need to make a mother board, the CPU is on a PCB of sorts with pins.

Motherboards are designed for specific CPU's and purposes. Motherboards may be designed for data acquisition or to function as an electronic instrument like a LC meter. It sounds like you want to have a general purpose computer that accepts a keyboard monitor and maybe sound.

Since you have made your own CPU there will be no motherboard that will accept it unless you specifically designed it to act like a known CPU with a PC like motherboard.

Hurst

The original IBM PC used an Intel 8-bit CPU. The circuit diagram in the motherboard came with the manual. It was spread over many (I do not have them now) pages but they may still be available on the internet. I could run DOS 3.1 and also could play some simple games (hangman) on it. It was fun.

Hurst

Good to know, on my CPU I want it to run geos its the old commodore 64

Many people call their computers as CPU and obviously get confused when they need to refer the real CPU. I hope this is not a similar case.

Hurst

Thanks, I've read all about the commodore 64 and I also have researched the NES and am thinking about buying one to put my CPU in.

I've made it... Its homemade, I'm not quite done with it...

Hi,

(Edited: corrected quote text)
So can I put my CPU in the CPU spot for this board?

This is a question of compatibility. At least you should know the answer.

Usually first you have the specifications if the processor, then the specification of the motherboard, then you may begin to design the motherboard. It seems you try to operate in random direction without specification.

There are hundreds 8 bit processors ... and hundreds of 8 bit motherboards ... but it very unlikely that you can replace the processor from one motherboard with the processor of the other motherboard.

If you want two processors to be interchangeable, then they need to be fully pin compatible and fully function compatible (including timing compatible). A complete datasheet of a processor usually needs more than hundred pages of specification...

Klaus

You design your motherboard around the CPU and not the other way. A pentium processor has close to the equivalent of a billion logic transistors and the early 8080 had more than several thousands. The early CPUs were 4 bit processors and they were designed for various instruments. The naked mini LSI by DEC had a CPU made from discrete components. You need to have more details than a simple outline of block diagram.

Once I get the CPU 100% done then I'll send you guys a pic, I'm missing a few ic's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back