Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the behavior of PiN photodiodes in series ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Connecting several PiN photodiodes facing omnidirectionally to receive optical signals from any direction; What is the electrical output behavior of the group if one or more of the series is dark, not exposed to any signal ? Detrimental or impervious ?

If a couple of PiN photodiodes are exposed to the desired signal, is the output summed even if others are 'dark' ?

What if paralleled instead of series ?

----> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/U9YAAOxydlFS8vEV/s-l300.jpg

not 100% sure, but I suspect you would get zero output if you put PIN photodiodes in series. Electrons generated in one diode would hit the 2nd diode and would not be able to travel across the "reverse biased" diode. hence no total current. In fact, how would you get a DC bias field across both diodes in the first place if they were in series?

I would instead hook up multiple diodes in parallel with a current summer op amp or passive means.

Thank you, biff44.
I see two situations... When all the PiN photodiodes are bathed in some light, and not all of them are exposed to the optical signal of interest, and;
When the PiN photodiodes are in darkness, and only a few are exposed to the signal of interest.

Like a solar panel composed of many cells (PiN diodes) in series being some shaded by trees, obstacles... The panel still generates and passes current. Right?
And, a solar panel at night and directing a source of light at a few cells only. Right?

The situation of interest is the first case. Some ambient light present at all cells in the chain. But only a few exposed to the signal to be detected.

Should the group of PiN diodes (= solar cells) provide detection of the optical signal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back