Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ublox Neo-6m to Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

htekin42

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I have a ublox neo-6m GPS receiver board and I would like to connect it to my pc over serial port.

In the ublox, There is Vcc- Tx - Rx- Gnd pins.

I have cables for RS-232 and 9 pin d-sub connectors.

I have made some search and I could not find good information. How I will gonna connect it to that cable?

PC side and GPS side pins?

Thanks for your answers.

Modul is:

hi,
The Neo serial levels are 3.3V 'TTL' levels,[ the Neo is 3,3v powered] you need a level shifter between this module and your PC.
A MAX232 i/c would be suitable, also you need a resistive divider between the MAX232 RX out to the Neo RX input.
The divider will reduce the 5V signal from the MAX to 3.3v for the Neo.
Do you follow OK.?
E

Dear esp1,

I think this board has divider because I was using
this board easly with arduino without anything.

If I still need max232, how is the connection of it to pc and ublox?

Thanks

hi 42,
Look at this image showing a MAX232.

E

Attachments

• max232.png
    max232.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 167
hi 42,
Looking closely at the image you posted of the PCB, clearly shows the copper track is directly connected between the Neo i/c and the external RX/TX connection pins.
If you want the PC to 'talk' to the the Neo via the MAX23, RX input line of the Neo, I would recommend a 2K/3k3 divider be used between the MAX output and the Neo PCB RXin.
Some arduino's use a 'shield' PCB which use a 74HC125 i/c as a 5V to 3.3V 'down level' shifter.
From the data I have on the Neo i/c it states the input pins are not 5V tolerant, even though the Neo can be powered from 5V when it has an onboard 3.3V voltage regulator.
The TX out from the Neo swings 3.3V/0V which is recognised as an input by the MAX232, so that line is OK.

So confirm the above before powering up, hope you follow this OK.

E
PS: The MAX i/c is powered by 5V.

Attachments

• F5XKQ4UHWAFTWPM.MEDIUM.jpg
    F5XKQ4UHWAFTWPM.MEDIUM.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor