Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

running Multi-Mode Simulation and Functional Verification on virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudoer

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have users with unsupported OS who have asked for the cadence package. They want to run it on a virtual machine. I want to manage their expectation. Has anyone experienced running simulations/test on virtual environment? What was your experience?

My concern is whether cadence software will run as they expect (like that on a desktop/server). I've also never had anyone run on a NATed env. I have concerns since their laptop/machines only meet the minimum requirements for IC, Virtuoso, Incisive etc.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. Not a user; only admin. :oops:

Last time I tried something like that I was using a Z800 dual Xeon system with 48 GB of RAM. It ran slower than remoting (VNC) into the server and running it there. Of course the server was using even higher end hardware then I had. On a lower end laptop running a virtual machine will probably not meet their expectations (unless they are pretty low to begin with). I regularly run a VM on my windows 7 machine at home (for web browsing, email, youtube, netflix, etc) and it does okay, but when I try running a Xilinx Vivado simulation it's not so good (partly because I have to allocate so much RAM to the OS and don't have as much available for the Linux OS, i7 (2nd Gen) 2.2 GHz 16 GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.