Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting Started with SIMCOM modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtanvir027

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am very new to GSM/GPRS modules. I am trying to make a project where a SMS/CALL needs to be sent to a mobile number.

My questions are very basic, would be really grateful if someone could deal that.

1. Can the SIMCOM GSM/GPRS modules be programmed as we program MCUs like AVR or PIC? or they can only controlled by AT commands or LUA?
2. Can I use such module without any controller if I have the chip? I went through the H/W design of SIM900, I found there are GPIOs, ADC, Communication port like UART, I2C etc -- as we have in general MCUs.
3. I have been searching the SimDevIDE, is it for programming the chip?
4. How to start with this module/chip? Any simple tutorial for a beginner like me?

Regards

SIMCOM modules are not programmable like MCUs(AVRs , PICs etc).
AT commands are the basic form of communication to these modules.
Some SIMCOMs can use HTTP HTTPs also.

Though they have GPIOs, ADC etc , you can access through AT commands only.

SIMCOM GSM/GPRS Modules are peripheral modules only.

They are not usable like MCUs. Given the proper commands , they can be used a standalone unit.

(As a sidenote , these SIMCOM peripheral modules have ARM controllers inside for controlling the communication network and interfacing...)

Thanks srzibf, last one query for now, for what the SimDevIde stands for then? I can go on programming SIMCOM chips without this IDE?

Regards

SimDevIDE is an integrated pgmming environment for all SIMCOM modules .
you can download the commands to the specific modules usin SIMDEvIDE.

You can start programming SIMCOM chips without SIMDevIDE.

You can use a simple arduino board to communicate with simcom module. You can use sim900 if you only need call/sms. Or you can go for sim908 if you want to use gps too. The module can be interfaced through the serial port of arduino/mcu and communicate via AT commands

Status
Not open for further replies.