Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Supplying a GSM/GPR module

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamech

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

I am not sure that this is the right forum, but I will post my problem here.

I bought a GSM/GPRS EFCom Pro , it is based on SIM900 module.

I have read that it needs 800 mA of current to correct properly, I tried it with a 5.7 volts adaptor that can supply upto 800 mA, then I followed it by a voltage regulator 7805 to produce voltage around 5 volts (I measured the voltage after regulator using multimeter, and I found that it was around 4.5 volts ).

I found that the GSM/GPRS module starts, but can not connect to internet. it keeps flashing without ability to use the sim card to connect.

when I replaced the supply by another 12 volts 2 A supply, and followed it also by a voltage regulator , the GSM/GPRS module could conncet properly!

does this mean that this module needs 2A supply?? is not this too big value ??

thanks

Yes, GSM/GPRS module needs around 2A supply. But for very few seconds after the module turned on there after it will be working in few milliamps. This current is called as burst current. So obviously you need a regulator which needs to supply 2A.

Status
Not open for further replies.