Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Power USB Module Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh.akhtari

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to design a low power usb 3.1 module.I am coding its physical layer.
Can you help me what can I do to make its power lower?

Hi,

The most important question:
Do you really need SuperSpeed data rate?
If 30MBytes/s are enough, then design it as USB2.0.

If you really need that SuperSpeed, then you need the fast line drivers and receivers, and the fast data processing.
The faster, the more power.

Pleaes post values like "xx mA" instead of phrases like "to make power lower".
It will help us to give more precise answers.

Klaus

My thesis for master's degree is designing a low power usb module to use in a microcontroller in cmos process
I must design a usb 3.1 module but I don't know what should I do to have a low power usb module.Amount of current is not important

HI,

I´m confused...

* Why the high speed of a USB 3.1 and a microcontroller? I doubt the microcontroller is able to transmit/receive that data rate.
* Why "low power" and "The amount of current is not important"?

Klaus

I want to use the newest version of usb module so I choosed USB 3.1 If it can't be used in a microcontroller I should change the version of USB
Are you sure the microcontroller is not able to use USB3.1 data rate?
being low power is important I mean certain amount of current is not important but it must be lower than usual amount

Hi,

I want to use the newest version of usb module so I choosed USB 3.1
USB2.0 is compatible to a USB3.1 standard. That means if you have a PC with an USB3.1 host, you may connect a USB2.0 device.

Or do you want to build a USB3.1 host?

Are you sure the microcontroller is not able to use USB3.1 data rate?
How can I be sure? You didn´t tell what microcontroller you want to use.
But USB3.1 is designed for a datarate of 10GBit/s.
Ask yourself: Is your microcontroller able to handle (or control) this data rate.

If not, then you should decide what data rate is usefull for your microcontroller.
Then select the USB standard / speed according your decision.
As said before: A USB2.0 device will work on a USB3.1 host.

but it must be lower than usual amount
What a specification.
The easiest way to achieve this specification is to disconnect a status LED, for example. Then the current consumption will be lower. Specification fulfilled.
Or to use the lowest specified supply voltage. This will lower the current consumption. Now it is lower than the typical current consumption. Specification fulfilled.

Klaus

As said, USB 3.1 doesn't specify a data rate. It can be anything between1.5 Mbit/s low speed and USB 3 "super speed".

The term "low power" is dedicated in USB 3.1 to an optional mode of the super speed interface, no idea if your project specification refers to it. Most microcontrollers will have difficulties to fully utilize high speed mode, in so far super speed doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how Edaboard members can help you to answer the question, you should clarify your specification with your professor or supervisor.

Sorry I haven't chosen my microcontroller. I want to know, Is there any microcontroller that supports USB 3.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.