Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel switch with Solid state relays (Mosfet) and Mechanical relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arya Kumar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Parallel switch with Solid state relay(Mosfet) and Mechanical relay

Hello experts,
I am working with Solar Charge controller. For charging battery with solar there is a diode (.3v junction difference) between Solar positive and Battery positive.
Diode protects the flow of current from battery to solar. That's good but during day time it makes up a good power loss (.3 volt X Current) so i need a heavy heat sink.
My idea is using diode and Relay in parallel. During day time relay will switch on and maximum current will flow from relay, thus there will be less power loss.

WILL THIS BE GOOD IDEA. ???
i will be measuring current to get it is day or night and will then get logic to turn on and off relay.!!

Re: Parallel switch with Solid state relay(Mosfet) and Mechanical relay

How much current does it takes to charge your battery? does your diode takes that into consideration? maybe you just need a bigger diode...

anyway, I don't think you should have any problem using a relay, maybe add a snubber and a hysteresis/voltage level driver to minimize switching noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.