Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between "raw" image and "bit map" image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
An FPGA design requires that images be stored in "raw" format. I understand that formats like JPEG and PNG actually compress images while bit maps are not compressed. However, I am not still not sure about the format in which bit map image data is stored. Anyway, what is the difference between raw and bit map image? I know that both are uncompressed. What application can be used to store images as raw?

Re: What is the difference between "raw" image and "bit map" image?

Which image format can be read by a FPGA design - completely depends on your design. In so far the question is rather pointless, or are you asking about a specific design?

A meaningful question could be which image format is suitable to be processed without much design overhead.

If you manage to implement a decompressor in your FPGA, you can of course use a compressed format . If JPEG is too complex, you may want to refer to simple run length encoding, or basic 1D compression methods that are used in fax transmission.

Uncompressed bitmap files like bmp have still a header that describes the format details. If you strip the header, you have a raw bitmap. *.bmp is always a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back