Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 - updating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a PC running Windows 7. This morning it downloaded 25 updates from Microsoft.

About 3 hours ago, I set it to shut down in order to install the updates.
However, it has been stuck at update 20 for at least 2 hours.

As far as I know, the only option I have is to press & hold the power button until it turns off.
I'm reluctant to do that because I don't want to lose the remaining updates.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My Win7 machine takes a few minutes per single update file. To install 20 or 25 updates it can be half an hour or more.

Did you watch the update window as it installed update files one by one? Did it say 'Done' 19 times, then get hung up on #20?

Or, is the message window in the background? Close/hide extraneous windows. Press Alt-Tab several times to cycle through all the programs/windows you have open.

At least a couple times I saw one update file failed, and it printed a notification, then went to the next update file.

If your machine remains stuck, I think it is okay to press the power button to shut off the computer. Next time you start up, the system log will tell the computer it did not successfully install the remaining updates. It will notify you sooner or later that the updates are available. You might have luck next time.

If the computer refuses to start up in normal mode, then start up in Safe mode. You may need to do some diagnostics, examine the Events list, run an anti-malware program, etc.

Reactions: ljcox

ljcox

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the prompt & comprehensive reply. However, the computer problem resolved itself.

No, I did not watch it while it was updating. However, in the past, I have not seen it say "Done" after completing one upgrade before moving to the next. The info just changes from say 2 of 7 to 3 of 7.
I'll watch next time as a matter of interest.

A few minutes after writing the Post (using my wife's computer) I noticed that mine had shut itself down.

So I started it, and after the usual upgrading windows sequence, it came up as normal.

So it must have eventually finished the upgrading.

I'll keep a copy of your post for future reference.

Last edited:

If you receive a Windows Update error and can't find the information you need to solve the problem, you can search Windows Help and Support for topics about the error code. For a list of the most common error codes, see the table below. Click any error code for help with that specific Windows Update error.

This is solved now, but still, just remembered - when there are a lot of updates, especially MB heavy ones like the Internet explorer one, I found it better to do them broken down into smaller groups to avoid the poster's original problem, helps at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back