Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C using normal controller IO in Multi Master - is it ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken_feet

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have just started reading I2C and just wondering if anyone has successfully implemented multimaster I2C using normal controller I/O. Based on what i have read, it seems that it is workable that we implement i2c communication between two controllers without I2C pins. For example we can send a bit and then read back to check for collision. If a collision does happen, we go for arbitration.

I need some confirmation, and if anyone foresee or encountered problem implementing it. Currently i am using 8052 which doesn't requires me to set any Data Direction (I/O) bits and i am wondering will there be problem for other controllers if we change the Data Direction bits ( for specifying Input or Output) in the middle of operation.

rgds,
chicken_feet

Re: I2C using normal controller IO in Multi Master - is it

I2C uses open drain configuration so multimaster environment using 8052 without I2C interface is not good idea.
What you can do is use I2C driver IC such as PCD8584 or similar (see Philips application note AN25)

Added after 5 minutes:

Here is the link to another application note AN425:
**broken link removed**

Re: I2C using normal controller IO in Multi Master - is it

Hi

I think you can do that by turn the I/O into input port when ever you finished using the bus

All the best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.