Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK SMPS design engineers become property developers instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

I just finished working for one of UK’s biggest electronics engineering companies. They had a 100W SMPS made for them by a UK based consultancy and it had to be scrapped due to its poor quality.
Can anybody name a UK based SMPS consultant who has not diverted away from SMPS design to become instead, a UK property investor?
Engineers in UK want only to make enough money to become a property investor, then they have landlord duties which take them away from being an SMPS designer.
Why do the politicians not do something about this?

There has been a growing trend for quality electronic items to be reverse-engineered and fabricated cheaply by a large Far East country, which they sell cheaply around the world. Consumers can be counted on to choose the lower price.

Quality-oriented manufacturers lose market share. It leads to a high frustration level. It's about the same with large numbers of medical practitioners leaving the health care field. Real estate is durable and has some value in a dubious economy.

Politicians (or people in power) have no incentive to change the situation. They made deals so they could benefit from whatever is going on.

Just my outlook based on years of hearing this and that, though I am not in any of the fields mentioned in this post.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Interesting post, I'm sure there are a few consulting companies out there for whom "their word is their bond"

Our main trouble is dealing with clients who want to make "little" changes about 80% of the way into a project and then can't comprehend why this is going to cost them so much in re-work etc...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.