Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

15Vdc to 12Vdc Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotong

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
12vdc 15vdc manual

I need the schematic for 15Vdc to 12Vdc converter circuit. The converter must have high power rating (more than 100W) so that it can drive various loads from my dc-ac inverter. Please help! >_<!

drop 15vdc to 12vdc with diodes

For that wattage, check TI's line of DC-DC converters, I think they offer that range of Voltage output and power.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
15vdc to 12vdc resistor

The simplest way of doing 15V - 12V conversion is to use 4 power diodes connected in series. This will produce ≈2.8V voltage drop, so 15-2.8=12.2
Other option is to employ a power transistor (darlington) on a heatsink with a 13.6V zener diode (2 x 6.8V zener diodes) between the base and 0V and 1k resistor from 15V to base.

Added after 17 minutes:

See attached drawigs:

I think that the buck converter is better beacause the efficiency of this topology is high and differecne voltage between input and output is very low.
this topology found in many article and must be design for proper application. the design consisit of:
chose the power mosfet(IRFP150 for this appliaction)
design inductor L=(Vo-Vi)t/i
choose controller (TL494 for this application is recomended)
and design the componen around the controller from datasheet.
before prototyping the circuit simulate your circuit with orcad or pspice the results are identical.

any more suggestions?
Cos my main concern is the power rating, the higher wattage the better..
Schematic diagrams would be appreciated..
Thanks for the help!

download datasheet of LM3524 and read the relation for design.

hi;
you need to supplay 100 watt,
ok p=v *i
i= 100 / 12 =8.3 A
use 3 parallel 7812 voltage regulator eachsupplies 3A current
or you may find 7812 voltage regulator with 10A current

hi, this is not a good way, for the temperature will be too high and effiency is low. Switch power should be fitful for the project.

of course it's better to design a buck converter.you should use a mosfet or an igbt to switching in high frquencies.and you choose the values of L,C and load resistance so that you get the current and power you need in the output.

IanP said:
The simplest way of doing 15V - 12V conversion is to use 4 power diodes connected in series.

Added after 17 minutes:

See attached drawigs:

It will reduce the power. A drop voltage accures since there is internal resistance in a diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back