Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hfss radiation boundary clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antenna (^.^)

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some questions about radiation boundary I want to clarify,

1) How long should the radiation boundary extend?
I have heard it should be 1/4 of wavelength.

If so, which is the correct way to implement?

option 1.PNG
1/4 wavelength height and start at position 0 (bottom, ground plane)

This makes my radiation pattern like this:
rad1.PNG
you can see that the bottom of the radiation pattern is cut off, I think due to the radiation boundary assignment..

option2.PNG
1/4 wavelength height above and below, start at position of -1/4 wavelength (i.e not from 0)
I notice that this option makes the resonant frequency lower than option 1..

2) Which sides of the radiation box to assign as radiation boundary?
is it: all faces except the bottom (ground plane) or all faces (including the bottom) except the face the port is on?

Last edited:

Hi,

lambda/4 distance should be applied to all sides of structure. this ensures absorption of signals at boundary with minimal reflection. you can always increase more than lambda/4 but simulation time increases as well.

there's a change in resonant frequency as the E-field could be disturbed by reflections off the boundary, since the port is directly placed at the same plane as boundary.

Increase all sides to at least lambda/4. Then try increasing further and there should be minimal or no change in resonant frequency.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back