Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

preventing IC from POWERUP due to signal without VCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro nS

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have an arduino in a circuit board

the circuit is power through 12v supply , some times i want to program the arduino while the board is off . The problem is that usb is sending 5v to the arduino , while the rest of the ICs are off .

and according to this post : Will cutting power to a CMOS chip effectively remove it from the circuit?
Mz6Fu.png

the ICs might be damaged due to signal coming from arduino pins causing power up (due to internal diodes used for esd protection) ,

3Sc7L.png

what is the reliable solution to this problem
the only thing i have in mind is to add relays on all (20 GPIOs) of arduino that will connect these pins to the respective ICs when 12v is applied , but this is very costy and makes board larger and decrese reliability which is the most important factor for me now ! maybe some kind of signal solid state relay array could solve the problem ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

I use 74CB3Q16245DL.

16 bit bus switch for data lines. either direction.
5V input tolerant - independent if powered or not.

Klaus

Hi,

I use 74CB3Q16245DL.

16 bit bus switch for data lines. either direction.
5V input tolerant - independent if powered or not.

Klaus

thanks for the suggestion , so you faced the same problem before , is this common or usually all the system is powered at once ?

Hi,

i use this with a self powered device on the USB.
As long as the USB device power is not enabled (USB suspend), only the USB device controller chip is powered by the USB.
After USB is enabled the rest of the hardware is powered by external supply.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.