Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to read video with FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKR1

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
I want to read a video with this properties and do some filtering on this and write it back to video.
in the first place i dont know how to read this video with fpga and convert it to frames.i would appreciate if someone help me.

video properties :
Duration: 97.1460 s
Width: 720
Height: 576
FrameRate: 25
BitsPerPixel: 24
VideoFormat: 'RGB24'

Sounds like HDMI.
The 24 bits per pixel are actually 30 bits per pixel.
Each pixel (Red, Green , Blue) is 8b/10b encoded.
You'll have to decode it to 8 bits, extract the clock and extract V/H SYNC signals (not an easy task) - not an easy task to do by yourself.

Also, consider that storing ~100 seconds of uncompressed HD video requires quite a bit of storage space (~250Mb).

What FPGA are you using?
Are you making a custom PCB or using an evaluation board?

thanks
I dont choose the hardware yet,which fpga do u think is proper?
u mean that i should use extra hardware and fpga cannot read the video?

Reactions: JKR1

JKR1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You say 720x756 = typical PAL (SD) 50Hz interlaced
If you look for HDMI typical HD there is a a cheap board with HDMI in/out and they do even have a loop through sample design...

http://www.scarabhardware.com/minispartan6/

Now you have to add you filtering on the video, it's not that easy (depending).
Both Altera and Xilinx do have video cores you can buy where you "just" put in the module you need.
What kind of filtering do you need?

You mention a Duration: 97.1460 s , is it a file you want to process?
What kind of interface do you need on you in/output?

Will it be used with a PC?

Reactions: dpaul

dpaul

I want to first crop it then do 2D median filtering and then histogram adjustment(imadjust).
I didnt choose the interface yet,I am searching for some sort of IP CORE to do the interfacing,Is it possible?>
If I change the video format to grayscale this filtering would be easier?

reading the video is not the real issue. A spartan6 can do this job. You might concider looking at SoC FPGA's (Zync or Cyclone5 or similar) for the processing part.

JKR1

Reading a video is not how it happens. Video is played in pixel by pixel, and you can easily filter it in real time. You'll create shift registers and line buffers for the filtering, so expect latency in the order of lines, not frames (unless you need a frame buffer for some reason.

JKR1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back