Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About output waveform of a PFD in PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debdut

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question which I don't know is valid or not.
In a Charge Pump PLL, the D flip flop based Phase Frequency Detector (after reference and divided frequency outputs get locked in phase and frequency) generate periodic spikes in the UP and DOWN outputs. These outputs are applied to the the gates of the pMOS or nMOS present in the Charge Pump.
My question is whether these pMOS or nMOS devices will survive for long duration if these narrow spikes appear repeatedly at their gates?
Overall, will any MOS survive if narrow spikes appear at their gates for long duration?

If you are asking "will they wear out", the answer is yes, but as long as the voltages are within the devices ratings it will not be in your lifetime. I wish you a long life!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.