Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] array fillup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsgil85

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello you all,

I'm trying to simulate TB that fills series in array of unsigned numbers.
I can't figure out why i get only zeros in this array bellow:

Code VHDL - [expand]
signal  helper_add_values_to_display_array  : integer range 0 to ((2**simulation_GENERIC_POS_CONF_DISPLAY_DATA_WIDTH) -1) := 0 ;                                                    

begin

process_fill_up_display_array:  process
                                    begin
                                    loop_arry: for y in 0 to simulation_GENERIC_POS_CONF_NUMBER_OF_ROWS -1 loop
                                                    simulation_PORT_IN_UNS_ARRAY_DATA_TO_DISPLAY(y)     <= to_unsigned(helper_add_values_to_display_array, simulation_PORT_IN_UNS_ARRAY_DATA_TO_DISPLAY(y)'length);
                                                    helper_add_values_to_display_array                  <= helper_add_values_to_display_array +1;
                                               end loop loop_arry;   
                                    wait ;         
                                end process ;

(i know i can put "y" instead of "helper_add_values_to_display_array" and solve it but i wonder what is the problem)
thank you :lol:

You need to learn about the behaviour of signals and processes. helper_add_values_to_display_array is only updated once at the end of the process, it keeps it's previous value of 0 during the loop iteration and is assigned 1 afterwards.

You can use a variable if you want immediate update.

Status
Not open for further replies.