Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reversable battery circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for a circuit that will allow a circuit to operate with the battery connected with correct or incorrect polarity.

The circuit below seems like an efficient and elegant solution except it will only work for circuits in the mA range.

Is anyone aware of a solution for higher currents (say 2A) that relies on low Rds FET's?

The bridge rectifier solution is a non starter because of the diode drops. I'm not looking for circuit that simply protects the circuit from a reverse battery, but one that allows operation with reverse battery.
Low current.png

I believe, two pairs of logic level NMOS and PMOS FETs should do. Simply an extension of the usual reversal protection circuit.

Reactions: Jester

Jester

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Last edited:

MOSFETs can connected as synchronous rectifier, they don't need an external supply

For 3.6V battery operation, you'll prefer MOSFETs with specified Rdson at 2.5V Vgs.

- - - Updated - - -

I see you ended up with the same circuit.

Reactions: Jester

Jester

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'm looking for a circuit that will allow a circuit to operate with the battery connected with correct or incorrect polarity.

The circuit below seems like an efficient and elegant solution except it will only work for circuits in the mA range.

Is anyone aware of a solution for higher currents (say 2A) that relies on low Rds FET's?

The bridge rectifier solution is a non starter because of the diode drops. I'm not looking for circuit that simply protects the circuit from a reverse battery, but one that allows operation with reverse battery.
View attachment 119520

Your requirements shows Vbat 1.5 to 5.5 but the bridge you chose shows Vgs=2.5 as a threshold, thus Vbat is compromised.

MOSFETs can connected as synchronous rectifier, they don't need an external supply

For 3.6V battery operation, you'll prefer MOSFETs with specified Rdson at 2.5V Vgs.

- - - Updated - - -

I see you ended up with the same circuit.

Yes, full turn on may be a bit marginal with this voltage and obviously no good for single or double cell applications. I will keep looking for a better array, thanks again:smile:

I think, 1.5 to 5.5 is a Maxim application note specification. But 2.5. or 1.8 V logic level FETs would be better than the Diodes 4.5 V type.

Status
Not open for further replies.