Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose a diode? Fast edges, minimal overshooting and ringing during a step inp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veriloger

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to choose a diode for a circuit where the edges are very fast (1-5ns range), high-ish voltage (+/- 100V) and i want as little overshoot and ringing as possible during a step input, where it settles very fast.

How do i go about choosing the correct diode? I've tried looking at datasheets for diodes and they seem to offer very information. I understand the power and temperature side of it. Obviously i want something with minimal inductance and capacitance, in a perfect world a device that doesn't have a complex impedance would be ideal. The question is, how do i find my perfect device?

My question also goes for zener diodes as well? Pretty much the same as a diode, 1-5ns edges, +/-20V and as little overshoot and ringing as possible during a step input.

Thanks

Hi,

a diode on it´s own makes no sense. There will be other parts that give the diode the desired fuction. Only with the surrounding circuit we can calculate the values.
--> Show us your schematic.

Zener diodes usually have a lot of capacitance...

Klaus

Indeed a circuit with just a diode does not make any sense at all but i didn't think my question requires my circuit since i've specified what i'm looking for and i think that i need to drill down on the parasitics of both the diode and zener diode that i'm already using. In essence the diode is connected to a resistive load in series from the drain of a MOSFET. The zener diode with a resistor is tying the gate to source of the MOSFET. The MOSFET is driven via an AC coupling capacitor from a MOSFET driver.

I used to think that fast and Ultrafast were buzz words that certain manufacturers just used as an advertisement gimmick in an attempt to gain your purchase since i couldn't see any differences in the datasheets. Quite clearly there are things that manufacturers don't know how to accurately characterise or choose to leave out. I saw this image in a book today which makes me think that i'm actually wrong. When i checked the datasheets for all three of these diodes i couldn't see anything that would give me a hint of what to expect.
**broken link removed**

Generally the fastest type general purpose switching diodes are Schottky types although there may not be many that are rated at 100V.

I'm with KlausST. The question is pointless without a specification of connected circuit impedances and driving waveforms.

If you possibly intended to post a schematic, there's no valid link.

Status
Not open for further replies.