Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

windows xp fresh copy installtion issue due to viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saad_111

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I have a PC on which windows XP is installed, system is highly infected by viruses. I tried to install a fresh copy window but failed, msg appears "check the system for viruses or some hardware change" and installation stopped. System properties, control panel, folder options are not working, even i am unable to format the hard drive. I am also unable to install antivirus or other system maintenance softwares.

Anyone please tell me how to handle this issue, to remove viruses or install a new copy of window.
Virus info: svchostmgr.exe
svichost.exe
New folder, video, mp3, hot etc folder appears each having 465 Kb space.

Looking for your kind response please.

you should boot the system from the install DVD and select the option that formats the HDD for a fresh install.

Given the problems you are having perhaps you don't have a real MS Windos XP install disk or you just have some silly vendor "install" disk that can't install a brand new OS image on the disk.

Perhaps you can boot a live linux distro and use it to reformat the HDD in FAT32. Then try installing the XP OS again.

...even i am unable to format the hard drive.

I would forget about attempting to recover the current installation.

Unless the system BIOS flash has been corrupted or there is some sort of hardware issue, there should be nothing preventing you from performing a full format and partitioning of the hard drive if you boot from the original Microsoft Windows XP Pro installation DVD.

However, I would strongly recommend, if you have not already done so, you backup all data you deem valuable or irreplaceable on an external storage drive/device.

What type of OS installation media are you attempting to use in this process? A Microsoft or OEM install DVD, a copy of such a DVD, an boot image on flash drive, etc?

BigDog

If you are lucky there may be a quick fix for this problem:

Get hold of a bootable linux disk and use it to boot the computer to a linux desktop. DO NOT INSTALL Linux, just use it in 'live' mode directly from the CD/DVD.
The Linux file manager will be able to read and write the hard disk with Windows on it. Use it to copy a new version of 'svchostmgr.exe' from another PC running the same version of Windows or maybe from the original Windows install disk. When you have copied the file, remove the Linux CD/DVD and press the computers reset button or switch it off and on again.

Suggested source for a bootable version of Linux : https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Brian.

I would forget about attempting to recover the current installation.
exactly my take on the problem, hence the extreme use of a linux live disto to blow away the formatting/partitioning of the windows xp install.

What type of OS installation media are you attempting to use in this process? A Microsoft or OEM install DVD, a copy of such a DVD, an boot image on flash drive, etc?
If it's a flash drive it's likely infected with whatever crud is on the PC already. One place I worked had a world of problems due to a couple of flash drives that were infected and every time they were used (on an autorun enabled computer) they would infect another system. When they finally tracked those flash drives down they had some viruses on them.

At this point it's a good idea to erase the HD with whatever method you can use. You may need to try various tools.

There are free startup disks and free utilities available online. Example, Ultimate Boot CD, Emergency Boot CD (Download the large file, burn to CD.)

Visit the site below to find many utilities. Some are free.

https://www.bootdisk.com/

It may be sufficient if you erase the Master Boot Record. I believe I've heard it's possible to write a virus there. A virus in the normal sectors is not likely to prevent you from reformatting the disk, whereas a virus in the MBR could mess things up bad.

Are you familiar with DOS? A DOS startup floppy, which also has utilities on it, might get you access to the hd. The FDISK command could be handy. (Available at bootdisk.com.)

Windows XP uses the NTFS disk format. It is incompatible with the old FAT32 format. Normal FAT-based utilities cannot read NTFS. You'll require a particular set of files, loaded at startup, just to read NTFS.

If it's a flash drive it's likely infected with whatever crud is on the PC already. One place I worked had a world of problems due to a couple of flash drives that were infected and every time they were used (on an autorun enabled computer) they would infect another system. When they finally tracked those flash drives down they had some viruses on them.

Exactly, which is why I was attempting to determine if the installation media could be a possible source of his issues.

Sort of a domestic variation on the STUXNET worm/rootkit.

The installation media could even be a bootleg DVD image with all sorts of backdoors open or rootkit for a repeat performance.

Often, replacing files is only a short term fix, tracking down the source of the infection(s) is the tricky part.

@ Saad_111

The moral of the story:

1. Never run a system without proper antivirus/antimalware software installed and active in a high security mode.

2. Never run a system without a proper firewall implementation as well as, an active router/firewall at the WAN connection.

3. Always know the source of all storage media and fully scan before attempting to access any file on such media, regardless of the source's previous reputation.

4. Avoid all media, updates, upgrades, etc, received via mail/delivery service, unless specifically requested from the shipper.

5. Limit all downloads to reputable known sites, then only download all files to a secure sandbox where they can be fully scanned before accessing.

6. Always download all media images directly from the company's website, avoid at all costs, media images from third parties.

7. Regularly install available security updates for the OS and applications installed on your system.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.