Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Arduino]Atmega328P-PU bootloader problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

element

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I bought some atmega328p-pu chips a few months ago and was able to successfully burn the bootloader on all of them. But now the sketches are failing to upload on the chips and I am also not able to burn fresh bootloaders on the chips using Arduino as an ISP (although previously I did).

The error I am presented with is:
" avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
"

I have also tried to modify the avr.conf file with the atmega328p signature to x14 from x0F as described on other forums for burning the bootlaoder onto a Atmega328-pu ...but I have Atmega328p-pu chips and why is not their signature matching?

One of the chips is still burning the bootloader onto it! but the others(all 4 of them!!) don't??

Hi,

Maybe it is not a device id problem but acomplete communication problem.
I come to this because you say you can reprogram bootloader.

Check if you set the fuses right, especially clock and brown out fuses.
If clock fuses are set wrongly, then maybe you could try to input an external clock at xtal input pin.

Klaus

I can reprogram the bootloader on only 1 of the 5 chips. The other 4 are still refusing with an internal/external clock.

When I successfully burn the bootloader on the chip that is working and pull it out of the socket and put any other chip in its place...same atmega328p-pu chips....same connections...I am unable to burn bootloader on them?

Now this is very odd!

Hi the " avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check. "
message say any numbre like Device number is xx xx xx xx must be yy yy yy yy ?
if so then you can check if the wole chips have the same signature.

if the signature read is 00 00 00 00 is because the chip are not answer to the programmer.
then you need to chec connections, oscillator, fuses, and vcc & gnd connections.
please comment you progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.