Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone did or doing burst mode CDR design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beabroad

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there anyone did or doing burst mode CDR design?
would like to discuss on that topic

Which sort of burst type CDR? Can you explain it more?

I guess beabroad is referring to burst-mode CDR in optical communication systems, which is recently inspired by the high demand of GPON transceivers in Asia (Japan and China).

Up to date, I don't get a good design reference in this type CDR. Actually you will find the reference for burst-mode driver/TIA is also very limited. Real markets are pretty much dominated by one or two players in the field. Plus not standard has been adopted for GPON transceiver yet as far as driver/tia concerned. I see alot different ways to use these parts -- which absolutely would influence the CDR performance too. Just keep in mind: current design at 1.25G burst-mode ckts are very much like the old 155M parts; however, I have to admit some technical issume must be well addressed before we can follow the old approach, like the high-speed peak-detector.

Personally, I consider for burst-mode CDR the conventional binary PD are more robust and suitable. It's worth a good investigation! Keep us posted of your progress. Good luck.

beabroad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ya, how about talking this topic?
I'm now design a 1.25gb/s burst mode CDR (half rate PD)

What is the general number of the locking time for the conventional binary PD based CDR?

hello,
i was wondering what is meant by "burst mode"?

burst mode means the locking time is very short, less than 40 ns in passive optical network.

Status
Not open for further replies.