Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best microcontroller for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnivesh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best microcontroller

I'm a beginner in mcu programming and want to know the best microcontroller to start with.

It shouldn't neccessarily be the easiest one but it should have all the minimum features being used for an average mcu project now a days and a good C compiler for that as well.

Is there any mcu such that if you learn that one then it is easy to learn all others ?

thanks in advance
agnivesh

best microcontroller to start with

Either 8051 or PIC16F84A ...

microcontrollers for beginners

I think the µC itself isn't the . You should look for a starter kit. The starter kit is the optimum to begin with. It is prooved and easy to start and you can run immediately application.
Afterwards, as soon as you are more familiar with the controller you can develop your own µC Sytem. I would prefer some of '51, '500 or '166 series, with some peripherials integrated on it, like CAN, PWM, ... . So you can test your future programms before making a complete PCB. For instance I like the Keil µVision software environment. It is easy to handle and is free for code up to 8k (for beginners more than enough).

the best microcontroller

Atmel AVR and Texas Instruments MSP430x are low cost and have some features! The development tools for these microcontrollers are free...

check in: ww*w.ti.com
ww#w.atmel.com

gorkin.

best microcontroller books

If you choose to learn PICmicros, I suggest you to start with 16F628(A) models and 18F1320. They are cheap, lot of projects and programmers schemes in the web, demo compilers available (C and Basic), MPLAB development environment available free at Microchip´s site, easy to find.

Demo Compilers at:
www.melabs.com
www.ccsinfo.com

Good luck.

best microcontroller programmer

i guess microchip picmcu is the best for beginner since beginner could easy find resources from the internet.
and microchip mcu is the most popular 8bit mcu on the market today.
nowadays more people are using picmcu than other mcu

top microcontroller books

If you are handy I would start with the 16F84 since there is a lot of free software out there for this microchip.

Get the Programmer Application note from Microchip... AN589 and build the programmer for a few bucks. You can use the same programmer for the 16F877,18F452 etc using.... IC-Prog Free software.

And download the Myke Predko book from here.

Also Download MPLAB IDE from microchip and you're set.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enigma460

best microcontroller to learn

PIC PIC PIC PIC PIC

best microcontroller projects free download

Before choosing a microcontroller to learn from, consider these pointers first.

1. Availability in your area. - ask your local electronic stores if what microcontrollers they have in their stock or theyc an order for you. Of course these micros are the FLASH micros and not the ones that still need external memories.

2. Price - you must also consider the price, local electronics stores sell microcontrollers at different prices, so better choose or limit your options by the price.

3. Documentation and Support - check the internet and forums for microcontroller documentations, application examples and manufacturer support. Better of also always read forums and ask for help, if a certain microcontroller has a few user, it may be implied that said microcontroller is hard to implement, costly or there is lack of avialabilty.

4. Programming experience -check each of microcontroller in your list if what are the avialable compilers or assemblers for them, assess your programming capability if in what language you are good in, if you are planning to learn a new programming language also, check if there are books or documentation about the said programming language.

5. Your First Microcontroller Project - of course you are just a beginner and you want to create first is to try to make an LED blink first, just the same as HELLO WORLD in PC programming, but after you will be able to make that LED blink, you will find yourself craving for more and instead of banging your head on the wall, because you've find out that the micro your are using in learning to program micros is not compatible or cannot support your target application, start now on a good micro with your future target application.

best microcontroller programming language

8051 is easier i think. (i'm talking about AT89S51 or AT89S52 from Atmel)

What i mean by easier:

1. i can buy the chip just a few blocks from my office, and it costs only US$2.

2. i can download program to the chip using few connections from LPT to the SPI port of the chip. (no hardware for programmer required)

3. the software to download the program is free (i use AEC ISP).

4. the assembler is free (i use ASM51).

5. free C compiler is also available and quite easy to use (i use SDCC)

6. the instruction set is complete (not like PIC :p) so it is easier for beginners to program code.

Although it is easy for beginners, i like AVR better. Sorry guys, i dont use PIC. They aren't available here in my city :)

top microcontrollers

this topic has been discussed millions and gzillions of times on edaboard and other discussion forums. a search will give you lots of results

best learning microcontroller

pic microcontrollrs

**broken link removed**

best micro controller

There are many in the market.
Personaly I use the PIC, it is cheap, widly available, lot of books, lot of web sites with projects and code, lot of magazines with projects and finally it has good features.
I do programming in PIC Basic which make life easyer.

Although I use the PIC, another good MCU is the Atmel's AVR and the 8051 series.

In order to deside, make a search in the web for programmers, development tools and quantity of free projects and examples. This will help you to find out which is easyer to start with.

In most of the electronics magazines, ELEKTOR, Everyday-Practical Electronics, Silicon Chip etc. , they use the PIC or the AVR. This indicates that they are very popular.

Good Luck

the best microcontrollers

i think AVR Microcontrollers are a good choice for starting because of high level programming languages such as Basic and easy to program, you can build your own programmer just with one buffer .
at first download Bascom-avr Basic compiler and take a look on schematic of AVR programmers .
Have fun

best simple microcontroller for beginners

I think you start with 89C51 or PIC or AVR...they have so many documents to learn and train...
Good luck.!

best microcontroller projects

I think y can start with PIC try a simple one of the 16 family (16f84 , 16f88 , 16f628 , ...etc)

A good reference is myke predko- programming and customizing pic microcontroller u can find it in book download forum

Status
Not open for further replies.