Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ADS] Error Failed to create netlist with Spice model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadrien Rols

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I recently imported a Spice model of a gain block from Avago Technologies () into ADS.
I am trying to perform a DC simulation but ADS returns the following error :

(stdcmds.ael line 208, column 5)
Failed to create netlist:
Port `gnd' in the design `Pierce_lib:msa0686:schematic' is directly connected to ground.

In a desperate attempt to make it work, I tried to remove the GND symbols from the component schematic but the error was still the same.

Any input on the subject is welcome :)
Thank you in advance.

1.PNG2.PNG

I think the problem is that a port in the Spice netlist was called "gnd" and that is a reserved name in ADS for global ground. You should be able to fix this by changing the 3-port subcircuit into a 2-port (don't forget to change the symbol as well) and just delete that port "gnd" in the subcircuit. The ground connection is already made there by placing a GND symbol and assigning netname gnd.

Thank you ! I deleted the gnd port and connected a GND symbol to a gnd net like you said and the error is gone.

9.PNG 5.PNG

Now when I run the default DC simulation I get weird results :

4.PNG

The device (a MSA0686 gain block) is expected to draw approx. 16mA when Vd = 3.5V. So I put a 100 Ω resistor between the 5V Vcc and Vd.
But what I get instead is no current at all.

Here are the sub-circuits inside the model.
5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG8.PNG

Check if there is a DC path from the inner device to gnd. Otherwise, we might have deleted that when removing the GND port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back