Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Onchip 1:5 balun with center tapped secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlsi_design2

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to design an onchip 1:5 balun with center tapped secondary. Can anyone suggest me books or IEEE papers?

Try looking up the ARRL Handbook for Amateur Radio Operators. There are many matching transformers for baluns.
What power levels will you need? I do have a contact that could help you if needed. I buy a lot of antenna equipment and baluns from him. His designs work beautifully as advertised. One antenna I just bought from him works with Low SWR from 80 meters to 6 meters flawlessly and are capable of 1500 watt RMS. The only tuner required is the limited internal unit for the ICOM IC-746 radio.

A comprehensive book that I can recommend for all aspects on on-chip inductors and transformers: "Integrated Inductors and Transformers" by Angelo Scuderi et al, CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-4200-8844-1

Overview paper on integrated transformers:
J. R. Long, “Monolithic transformers for silicon RF IC design,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1368-1382, September 2000.
https://vergina.eng.auth.gr/electronicslab/el/vlsi/Transformers-Sept00.pdf

Hi Truedeal,
Thank you for your reply. I am talking about onchip baluns in silicon. I think you are pointing to offchip baluns.

Hi volker@muehlhaus,
Thank you for recommending the book and the paper.
1. I had gone through Prof. Long's paper before. Can you recommend me any paper which considers more design details like maths of designing cross-overs etc.

2. Are there CAD tools which can automatically generate layout e.g. for 1:5 balun

Hi Truedeal,
Thank you for your reply. I am talking about onchip baluns in silicon. I think you are pointing to offchip baluns.
Yes sir I was. I did not know that sort of thing was being done at the chip level. I have been out of the manufacturing loop since 1995.

Hi,
I am using ADS momentum for my 1: 5 balun simulation. The secondary is in top level metal. The primary is below it. I am using nport in cadence for transient simulation where I have 1V sinusoid connected. I am no where getting 1:5 gain . It is only 1: 1.2
The designed balun is similar (not exactly same) to attached figure.

4797515600_1421450318.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back