Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Balun: voltage & current relation; voltage vs power balun

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlsi_design2

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. The following tutorial says that ideal_balun in analogLib of virtuoso has these voltage and current relations
Vd=Vp - Vm
Id=1/2( Ip - Im )
Why the current relation is not Ip-Im?

https://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/diff.pdf

2. What is difference between voltage & power balun. I think in voltage balun, unbalanced output voltage is half and in power balun power is half i.e. unbalaned voltage is 0.7 times diff. I want to know what is the hardware difference in them?

Hi,

for case 1:

Pd = Vd^2/Rin = Pp + Pm = Vd^2/2Rout, so Rin = 2Rout

Next, id = Vd/Rin, ip - im = Vp/Rout + Vm/Rout = Vd/2Rout + Vd/2Rout = Vd/Rin + Vd/Rin = 2Vd/Rin = 2id, or id = 1/2(ip-im)

The quick answer is because ;
- potentials and electric fields are averaged while currents and fluxes are summed.

Like a bunch of same cell voltage batteries in parallel gives the average voltage but the max current capacity adds ( don't try this on LiPo unless <=2% matched)

Thus vc = ½(vp + vn) ....
thus the common mode current ( which are in opposite direction) is the net sum or...

ic = ip + in

Hi Sarge,
Thank you for the mathematical solution.

Hi SunnySkyGuy,
Thank you for the elegant intuitive explanation. The common mode results i.e. Vc and Ic are conceivable.
But how do you intuitively explain the differential results? especially Id=1/2(Ip-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back