Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

laser distance measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogl

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to make a precise distance measuring device (distance from 0 to 1.5m). I was thinking about interferometry. Any plans? What laser should i use?

fogl said:
I would like to make a precise distance measuring device (distance from 0 to 1.5m). I was thinking about interferometry. Any plans? What laser should i use?

Did U find any answers?
I built an interferometer to see what's doable. Based on a red laser pointer.
It was extremely sensitive to movement. It was built on a cut-down cement paver.
It's amazing how little force is required to flex a paver!!
I too want to build a laser device to measure over similar distance down to 1 micron.
The interferometer was too sensitive..
cheers,
Qtron.

An interferometer doesn't provide absolute distance measurements, and most likely you don't need it's resolution. See Keith's suggestion from a recent thread

Thanks for the link to my reply.

Laser pointers will not usually be good for interferometry - they a not single wavelength although it would work at short distances. The wavelength is also temperature sensitive.

Personally I like the Heterodyne approach - it is accurate, works well over short range & avoids too much high speed circuitry. Hamamatsu's position sensitive detectors are also an interesting option.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back