Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Amplifier dynamic resistance in Envelope Tracking PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Politecnico

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

The primary simulation of Envelope Modulator (for Envelope Tracking Power Amplifier) is always done with a fixed resistor as the dynamic resistance of PA and it's normally around 5-10 Ohm.

1) How may I find that approximate resistance to be assumed as the load of the Envelope Modulator? Is there any calculation, measurement, ...?

2) Why lower Rload is mostly preferred?

Thanks a lot for any hint, in advance
Politecnico

Look,at VI curve of PA and load of same ESR will produce 50% modulation. Any modulation index can be used by R ratios.

Actually, I read somewhere that we can divide Vdd by Idd (drain's DC current consumption) at PA's compression point. Is that a valid statement?

Actually, I read somewhere that we can divide Vdd by Idd (drain's DC current consumption) at PA's compression point. Is that a valid statement?
No, when biased near compression, Vdd/Idd should be quite nonlinear. At the very least, you want a load impedance equal to the slope resistance, which is not Vdd/Idd. A good simulation should use a nonlinear load derived from measurements of the PA under many operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back