Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog components vs digital components power consumption in a 1st order sigma-delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyleeinhit

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, folks,

I am writing an academic paper about micro-watt 1st order sigma-delta ADC. The schematic is attached here. I need to know what is the ratio between analog components and digital components. I think that that in a mixed-signal circuit, compared to that of analog components, the digital components power consumption is much lower and easier to be optimized. Am I right?

Besides, if you know any reference paper about power consumption distribution in a micro-watt 1st order sigma-delta ADC, plz let me know. Thanks.

tranditional DeltaSigma circuit.png

I think that in a mixed-signal circuit, compared to that of analog components, the digital components power consumption is much lower and easier to be optimized. Am I right?

Depends. If your digital components consist only of the D-flip flop + counter/shifter - as shown in your image above - their power consumption is probably considerably lower than that of the analog components. But easier to be optimized? How could you optimize it? Digital gates' power consumption simply depends on their operating frequency (at least to a first order approximation). For each process/operating-voltage you can get a power-consumption per op.frequency and gate number value, so you can at least estimate their power consumption rather exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back