Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Tool to change a file from synth to simulation values

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtr

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm using vivado & trying to create a script that can change files to and from simulation/synthesiable.

Classic example of the use. You have a constant pacakge that has values for simulation, but different values in the synth product. The values are identified by anchors(i.e --@synth_start/--@synth_end) arround the block of code

The problem I'm getting is that the lsearch feature is falling over vhdl commands like
constant x :std_logic_vector(x downto 0) := "00100";
Code:
  if {[lsearch -exact $line $add_start]== 0} then {
    set add_comment_flag 1

It appears that the
Code:
";
is causing problems with the lsearch.

I've used
Code:
set line [split $line]
however this throws all sorts of crazy syntax ;, \, " etc into the line & makes my search freak out.

Anyone know what I can do to get the search working? Without list freaking out at places where there is a quote followed by some other character.

I don't want to change all the possible vhdl files by manually adding a space after the quotations on the line.

I may be able to give sample code & source later, however for now I do not have access to these.

Regards,
Wesley

Not sure why you are going to the trouble of physical modifying the code. In Verilog code I've done I use an ifdef around blocks of code that are different for sim/synth. I just set a SIMUTATION define and add that setting to my testbench. I also do this (or use parameters) for synth options.

VHDL has similar capability using generics.

Regards

Does that mean I can do something like
Code:
constant synth_condition : boolean := true;
constant sim_condition : boolean;
sim_condition <= not synth_condition

With

Code:
thisisconditional : if synth_condition generate
constant x : whatever := "xxx"
end generate

thisisconditional2 : if sim_condition
end generate

Therefore I only have to change one variable?
Regards,
Wes

Last edited:

Does that mean I can do something like
Code:
constant synth_condition : boolean := true;
constant sim_condition : boolean;
sim_condition <= not synth_condition

?

Regards,
Wes

Or more like
constant sim_condition : boolean := (not synth_condition);

Or even more interesting, you could use a function with synthesis translate on/off in it to set the value of the synth constant:

Code VHDL - [expand]
function set_mode return boolean is
    variable is_sim : boolean;
begin
    is_sim := false;

--synthesis translate_off
    is_sim  := true;
    --synthesis translate_on

return is_sim;
end function;

constant IS_SIMULATION : boolean := set_mode;

Doing stuff like this avoids the necessity of modifying code through scripts and such, or having separate synthesis and simulation files.

As I've used some sort of source control for VHDL/Verilog code this works very nicely with ensuring both synthesis and simulation settings are always preserved in the source's history. Using something similar with a design I worked on, allowed us to have a common code base for three different design options. I just ran the three builds in different directories setting a top level parameter (Verilog design) to determine what submodules and options were used. I used the ISE/Vivado options to set the parameter in the GUI and my testbench had a setting that could changed by the different testcases.

Regards

Thank you so much guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back