Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Regarding : Post synthesis simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

verylsi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I wanted to ask all the senior members of the forum,

How useful is post synthesis simulation, do you all do the post synthesis
simulation every time as a regular design flow.

I have never done that, I check the timing report and modify the code to optimize.
Should I practice post synthesis simulation ?

Thanks in advance .

In 10 years of FPGA design, I have never run a post synth simulation.
All bugs are either RTL bugs or poor timing specs.

As long as you follow good practice (everything synchronous etc) you shouldnt need a post synth sim.

Until the day you hit a synthesisor bug.... (though apparently nowhere near as common as it used to be - but we have a design that currently works with chipscope and fails without, so synth problems me be occuring. We're not doing post synth sims though).

Reactions: verylsi

verylsi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You should definitely do it atleast for a few test cases. It is a good learning experience and moreover it improves the confidence of the design team.

verylsi

Unlike Tricky I've been doing this for 2x longer and used to always run a post synth and a post map simulation because synthesis tools and vendor mapping tools sometimes would mess up and change the design so it would no longer work. For the past 10 years I have only run post synth or netlist simulations (after mapping/routing) on only a small number of occasions when the design wasn't behaving in circuit as simulation predicted. In most of those cases it was either a difference in the interface protocol or something that was misinterpreted in a spec. In only a few instances was it something to do with the actual synthesis and/or the mapping of logic.

The majority of the problem with running gate level simulations is time. Most of my HDL designs are so large they may take upwards of 2-3 hours to run a testcase. The same testcaes run as a gate level simulation will take 2-3 time longer. So basically I have to run it overnight...and inevitably (given Murphy's law) it breaks 10 minutes after I leave work. Have that happen multiple days in a row and you start to question the usefulness of always doing a gate level simulation.

verylsi

Only done that to demonstrate a synthesis bug to the vendor.

Kevin Jennings

Only use it when I am doing asynchronous logic for fun and profit.

But but, I like ... oh wait.

:p

Nothing wrong with abusing fpga's for async. As long as you do it on purpose, and with a purpose. :p The misery and loss is when you accidentally make things asynchronous in your design where you really intended synchronous. Here latchy latchy...

Thanks everyone for all the inputs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back