Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming for Xilinx XC7000 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zag4cpld

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an 20 year old computer that needs Xilinx XC7000 CPLDs programmed.

Can anyone point me to what hardware I would need to do this? I don't know where to start. Thanks.

First you'll probably want to look at this ancient programmable logic databook from Xilinx. I guarantee you won't find anything better than this OCR version. I used to have one of these (might still have it somewhere in a box in the garage ;-)).
https://archive.org/details/Xilinx-TheProgrammableLogicDataBook1994OCR

You'll need a UV eraser and a programmer. I don't know what other programmers there were but we used to use a DataIO programmer. You might want to read about trying to buy one off of ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/gds/Data-I-O-Device-Programmers-A-Condensed-Reference-/10000000001698682/g.html I have no clue if their latest generation of programmers would even support something so antiquated.

Good luck with your endeavor...I would seriously consider a redesign instead. If it's some kind of field return (why would you even keep supporting something like that!?) then make sure you charge $$$$$$ (i.e. more than the current product cost) so the customer will seriously consider upgrading and you can get out of fixing this. ;-)

Regards

Thanks for the information. That book is helpful, I've been looking at it.

I see that on page 1-3 it lists the XC7000 is UV erasable and reprogrammable with a PROM programmer, but my chips are XC7300 series and have no window.

Page 2-4 is good. It talks about programming or "loading" them. But it doesn't list any specific hardware to do it.

Page 3-4 says they available in windowed or OTP versions. So that is cleared up; mine are the OTP type.

They are package code PC and are PLCC44. Here is a picture of it. It is in the very center with a "4" marked on it.

**broken link removed**

I will read about the Data I/O programmers. It would be nice (for my poor brain) if someone knows a specific model that will do the XC7000 series, but I will research it more.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

**Edit** Ouch, the Data I/O are pretty expensive. If someone has a cheaper solution I would very much appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited:

Good luck with your endeavor...I would seriously consider a redesign instead. If it's some kind of field return (why would you even keep supporting something like that!?) then make sure you charge $$$$$$ (i.e. more than the current product cost) so the customer will seriously consider upgrading and you can get out of fixing this. ;-)

Regards

Its quite common for COTS products that go into military applications to not see any serious sales for 5-10 years after development. Then they expect sales and support for the next 10 years or more. Ive seen production departments scratch around for old boards on shelves that are marked as "broken" to take parts off them to repair faulty boards for customers when all the parts werent even available on the grey market.

After that, the customer was told we couldnt do any more repairs.

Its quite common for COTS products that go into military applications to not see any serious sales for 5-10 years after development. Then they expect sales and support for the next 10 years or more. Ive seen production departments scratch around for old boards on shelves that are marked as "broken" to take parts off them to repair faulty boards for customers when all the parts werent even available on the grey market.

After that, the customer was told we couldnt do any more repairs.
Been there done that.

I didn't put much credit on the original 20 year old computer comment. I figured it was some other "computing" device that wasn't an actual personal computer...But lo and behold the picture Zag4Cpld posted is a PC motherboard circa 1990's. I can hardly believe they still have the machine, I've had about 8-9 PC's in that time and have kept only the most recent ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back