Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have you ever used Nios with Cyclone II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bianchi77

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys,

Have you ever used Nios with Cyclone II ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, I create Nios in Quartus then compile the code on Nios II eclipse ?
Perhaps you have a simple example to understand it ?

Any links / simple references ?

Thanks

You create the Nios-ii in the SOPC and develop the code that runs on the Nios-ii using the EDS (which is eclipse based). Altera has tutorials on their web site for doing this. Doesn't matter if they aren't for cyclone II the process is the same if its' a cyclone III or a stratix IV.
https://www.altera.com/devices/processor/training/emb-training.html

Regards

Thanks for the response, I'll follow that,
In the meantime, I've read :
**broken link removed**
but I can not use nios.bdf I have created.....anyone knows?

Cheers

Is it possible to use EP2C8Q144 ? How can I reduce memory element of NIOS ?thanks

Turn off every memory hungry option of the Nios-II, basically you'll end up with a slow Nios-II with no cache.

which option is memory hungry ? I used CPU,Jtag,PIO,internal memory for 20Kbytes...

20KB = 20 m9k RAMs and whatever CPU options that require memory e.g. cache.

20KB = 20 m9k RAMs, how can I read that ? any reference ? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

How can I connect PIO[7..0] pins ? Please have a look to the picture, thanks
bus name.jpg
I got it gpio[7..0]

20KB = 20 m9k RAMs, how can I read that ? any reference ? thanks
Oops, sorry I didn't check the datasheet, haven't used a Cyclone II part for 5 years or more and the very last Cyclone part I used was a Cyclone III part, which has M9Ks. Cyclone-II has M4K RAMs so they are only 4Kbits each, therefore you need 40 of them to make your 20KBytes of RAM for the Nios-II. As there are only 36 M4Ks in a EP2C8 your design doesn't fit. Reduce the RAM from your 20KByte number.

This is last response I plan on giving as I find it irritating when someone posts the same questions to multiple forums...Yes, you know you posted to the Altera forum about the Nios-II fitting in a EP2C8Q144. Fine get the rest of your answers from there.

Regards

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back