Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quad port design from two Dual port BRAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpWeapon

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is there anyone who have tried to construct a Quad port RAM from two Dual port BRAMs? I couldn't find enough resource on it, so grateful if anyone can drop me fragment of the vhdl code.

PS: you can have a look of my code for it in my previous post(https://www.edaboard.com/threads/320193/) . For that code the synthesizer understood that I am looking for a Quad port but it is implementing it using Distributed RAM, I tried to force the synthesizer by changing the HDL synthesis option to Block RAM, I have the following warning message:

Code:
Cannot use block RAM resources for signal <Mram_ramMem>. Please check that the RAM contents is read synchronously.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Drat, You beat me to it. I was going to propose a community challenge to design a quad port memory using block RAM.

I think this is only doable if the clock used to perform writes is 2x the write side interface clocks. Writes are the peeformed as follows:
Phase1 i/f 1 writes to ram1, i/f 2 writes to ram2
Phase2 i/f 1 writes to ram2, i/f 2 writes to ram1.

This will keep the contents of the ram coherent.

Regards

:) I decided to take another approach for it, than going through all the complexity you suffered. Fortunately, the new one succeed, hope you had fun with the Quad port :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back