Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting the beginning of the JTAG programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binome

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have an Altera board with a Cyclone 4 FPGA and a Stellaris LM3S2965 Evaluation Board. I want the FPGA to know when the computer is sending data to the microcontroller to program it. I was trying to detect a transition on tck on the JTAG port of the Stellaris board but it seems there are transitions even when nothing is happening. Can someone tell me why and how I can know when the computer is programming the board ?

Hi,
I have an Altera board with a Cyclone 4 FPGA and a Stellaris LM3S2965 Evaluation Board. I want the FPGA to know when the computer is sending data to the microcontroller to program it.
I'm not sure I follow this. Are you trying to use the FPGA to detect when the micro is getting data? Or are you trying to use the FPGA to detect when it's configuration is being sent to the micro so the micro can program the FPGA (which makes no sense if the FPGA isn't already programmed).

I was trying to detect a transition on tck on the JTAG port of the Stellaris board but it seems there are transitions even when nothing is happening. Can someone tell me why and how I can know when the computer is programming the board ?
TCK is allowed to toggle continuously see IEEE 1149.1 and 1532 (in system configuration) (neither spec is free). You'll have to monitor the transitions on TMS to determine which TAP state the devices are in along with the TDI data to determine which JTAG commands are being sent to each device on the chain.

Regards

It's your first guess:I'm trying to use the FPGA to determine when the micro is getting data from the computer. I'll try to monitor the TMS signal. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back