Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What sensor would you use to detect somone stepping on a paving stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsertCoffee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to create a keyless lock for my shed. Instead of a numeric keypad, I thought it would be fun to use the paving slabs in front of the sheds as 'keys', so you have to step on them in a particular sequence to unlock the door. (I already have the electronic lock and I'm happy to interface it via a microcontroller / raspberry pi / etc)

I thought a load cell would be OK, but maybe there is something simpler I'm not aware of

Sensor requirements:

• Cheap (it's only a fun project)
  • Weather resistant
  • Able to detect a large load (me!) but not false positives via cats / rain / etc

Any thoughts?

Load cell is simple, but not really that cheap.
Perhaps a pair of infra-red emitter/ detector pair being obstructed by some mechanism each time you step on the panel. But this may be too mechanical.

Load cell is simple, but not really that cheap.
Perhaps a pair of infra-red emitter/ detector pair being obstructed by some mechanism each time you step on the panel. But this may be too mechanical.

I saw some info about DIY force sensitive resistors, using conductive foam and metal plates, but I'm not sure how long lived they would be. I don't want to be digging up paving stones very often...

Status
Not open for further replies.