Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of PIC, AVR and ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have spent a lot of time developing with pics - 18 series in particular, and I think its time to move on. I'm not particularly unhappy with them, it's there seems like there are better alternatives out there with more support for TCPIP/USB etc..

I would like some advice on which line of MCU's to pursue - keeping in mind it will require time to develop tools etc.. my mine criteria are:

- Compiler support - free is big advantage, windows/linux also
- Programming Hardware, ICSP - Simpler interface is great.
- Programming Software - again, free and windows/linux support

Cost isn't the greatest issue, as long as it isn't insane. I have worked with TMS320 series before, and they are excellent, except TI's code composer costs a ridiculous amount for a hobbyist, so that's an example of something that's ruled out.

I'm not so much concerned with speed and/or FLASH size, things like that. All of these have somewhat comparable specs, and I'm not doing anything high speed, butI would like to expand my knowledge by starting with a new line. Any help is appreciated.

arm vs pic

look at motorola MCUs...
8 bit hc08 and 16 bit hc12....
they have good support and great tools(code warrior..)
investigate them from www.freescale.com and select one of them according to your needs......

avr32 vs arm

I will look into them, thanks. Is GCC support for Motorolla any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back